- Allied-UK, France, Russia, Japan,Italy, British colonies(India, Australia..)
- Central-Germany, Austria-Hungary, Ottoman Turks..
Initiator: Assassination of Archduke of Austria by some Serbian (28th JUNE 1914). Austria (supported by Germany) attacked Serbia (supported by Britain, France..)
Real Motive: Britain & France wanted no challenges from strong German nation in colonies. So they were finding reasons to attack Germany.
- Western Front (around Belgium)
- Eastern Front (Russia-Bulgaria)
- Southern front (Balkans,Turkey)
- March 1917, Germany hit 5 American merchant navy ships to sink.
- Persuasion of Mexico to join with Germany
- central powers surrendered June 28, 1919 (exact 5 yrs after it started)
- Germany humiliated by signing “Treaty of Versailles”
- Japan although from winning side felt ignored because not given ‘appropriate’ war winning territories/wealth.
( Edited version of Balaji Vishvanathan’s article: